Monday 7 March 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN:
978-0-06-198584-3
Pages:
335
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

From the first line that I read of this book, I was sucked into a fantastic world, all previous thoughts of anything un-Paranormalcy vanishing from my head.
Let's backtrack a bit though to gush talk about the cover. It’s such a pretty one that fits the story really well! I’m normally a little more negative towards covers with pink but if you’re reading this book, you have to be prepared for girly goodness.
Guess what? It only gets better behind the cover. The main character and narrator of the story Evie is perhaps my favourite female lead of all time. Her voice is powerful, relatable and refreshing to listen to. Not to mention that she can kick some serious (vampire, werewolf, faerie, you name it!) butt.
I loved the engaging dialogue and the overall premise of the story. Lend was a sweetheart and Evie’s best friend Lish made me smile on more than one occasion.
One character that really piqued my interest was Reth. I’m excited to see how his character plays out in the upcoming books and how he changes from this one. I have a good feeling we’ve only scratched the surface with this faerie!
One last thing that I’d like to mention (sorry—this is getting long) is that I love how clean this book is. It appeals to a much larger age range which is awesome because awesome people deserve to be reading awesome books (like this one!) no matter how young/old they are!
Overall, Paranormalcy turned out to be a remarkably enjoyable novel. I honestly can’t think of one page that bored me and I’m super excited for Supernaturally.
-
Other titles by Kiersten White: Corsets and Clockwork anthology (May 2011), Supernaturally (August 30, 2011)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I can't wait to learn more about Reth. I think there's so much more to him than we've seen so far. I hope there's a ton more Reth in book two.

    And Lish! Aw, I loved her so much. I agree with you about the wide range appeal. It was so nice to read a book I knew I could give to even my younger library readers without boring my older library teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you surprised when you found out his court? I was! There's clearly a reason behind his actions in Paranormalcy - I'm excited to find out what it was.

    I loved her too! I wish we could have seen more of her but at the same time, what happened was right for the story.

    ReplyDelete