Monday 21 March 2011

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 978-0-06-166269-0
Pages: 390

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House... before its skeletons come back to haunt me.
The Summoning was an all-around amazing read. I really didn't know where the story was going at any given point of the book. Just when I started thinking 'yeah, I totally know what's coming up next,' the shaky grip I'd thought I had on the plot was wrenched from my hands, taking a turn in a new and unexpected direction. I loved it!

There wasn't a guy that I particularly loved in this book (trust me, that doesn't happen often to me) but the relationship between Simon and Derek was great. Right from the opening pages that they made their first appearances in, you knew that they would do anything to protect each other. I feel as if the 'sibling love' theme is becoming more and more uncommon in all novels nowadays and it was refreshing to see it present in this one.

All of the characters, really, were diverse with distinct personalities and believable flaws. I hope that we get to see more of all of them in the next books. It's hinted in the end of the book that Tori will make another appearance but while we're speaking of the ending... That was cruel! So much was just left unanswered but thankfully, I have the next book, The Awakening, right beside me just begging to be cracked open.

One more thing before I finish off that I just had to add: Kelley Armstrong is Canadian - bonus!

Cover Comments: I am definitely liking this cover! The fonts that are used work well with the overall theme and stand out to me, just as the necklace does. How pretty is that, by the way? Just what I would have pictured Chloe's necklace as. For some reason, I notice every time I look at the cover how closely the jewel on the necklace and the model's lip colour match. I really doubt that was intentional, but it's cool at the same time. I kind of wish that the necklace had been bigger as it's a great focal point but that's not such a huge deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment