Monday 29 August 2011

Ruby Red by Kersten Gier

Ruby Red by Kersten Gier
Translations done by Anthea Bell
(Goodreads profile)

Source: Library
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 324

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
A quick, charming adventure through time!

Prior to reading this novel, I was a bit curious about the fact that it had been translated. I can't remember ever having read a translated novel before (although I could be wrong) and I was interested to see if it would make any difference to the reading experience. I have to say, Anthea Bell did a fantastic job! The novel is set in England and is filled with British phrases but never felt too overwhelming. I might have even read all of the dialogue with a British accent...

The main character, Gwyneth, is a very relatable narrator. Quite the average teenager, she spends most of her free time hanging out with her best friend, Lesley, who is lovely, supportive and exactly what Gwyneth needs when the threads of her life start to unravel. The secondary characters were all pretty memorable and left a lasting impression as well.

I think my favourite aspect of this novel was the time travel, a theme I can't seem to get enough of! There is this whole secret, mysterious air to the time travel, and a lot that Gwyneth is still trying to figure out, making for a fast-paced adventure. There is also the romantic attraction between Gwyneth and Gideon, who I thought made an adorable couple. 

The ending came a little suddenly for my tastes but it sets up well for the next book. Looking forward to Sapphire Blue!

Cover Comments: I like it! Obviously the red colour scheme works well for the book and the silver detailing is gorgeous. In real life, the red jewels are actually like little rhinestones - very fun!

3 comments:

  1. Love the look of this one! I had no idea it'd been translated - the only translated novels I've read are some Cornelia Funke ones! And I love time travel in books, so this definitely sounds like one for me. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time travel!! Something I love, but seriously don't read nearly enough of. It's cool that this was a translated novel - I'm glad it bridges the language barrier without any hiccups. It sounds great, definitely will be checking it out now. Fabulous review, m'dear Sonia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read the book its amazing

    ReplyDelete