Saturday 15 October 2011

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Library
Publisher: Razorbill Penguin
Release Date: July 21, 2011
Format: Hardcover (260 pages)

Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. Each day she goes to school like a normal teenager, and each night she must swim, or the pain will be unbearable. She is a siren - a deadly mermaid destined to lure men to their watery deaths. After a terrible tragedy, Lexi shut herself off from the world, vowing to protect the ones she loves. But she soon finds herself caught between a new boy at school who may have the power to melt her icy exterior, and a handsome water spirit who says he can break Lexi's curse if she gives up everything else. Lexi is faced with the hardest decision she's ever had to make: the life she's always longed for - or the love she can't live without?
An intriguing story about love, choices, and killer mermaids.

I've never read a book primarily about sirens before, although they've always fascinated me. Mandy Hubbard had me totally captivated with the parts of her novel that went into the nature and behaviour of sirens... I just wish there was more!

That said, I did have some problems connecting with the characters. On one end, I thought Lexi was very well-developped. The details of her past and how they've affected her are clear, and I really sympathized with her for it. On the other hand, she seemed to change her mind every other page, and I really had a hard time keeping up with what her current frame-of-mind was.

As for the romance, I really liked where it was going! Cole was such a sweet guy and he seemed to genuinely care about Lexi despite her attempts to push him away. I only wish that we could have had more interactions between the two before the "new boy" showed up (was NOT a fan of him!).

Overall, a light story with some more heartfelt portions and an ending you probably won't see coming!

Cover Comments: Seeing this book in person was awesome because, while you probably can't see it very well on screen, Lexi's leg actually has scales on it! Pretty cool, right? I like the rest of the cover too, especially since Cole is wearing the clothes Lexi always complains about LOL.

3/5

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree with Lexi's inability to make up her mind. It annoyed me some but still loved the romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. Especially Cole who is such a sweet guy. But I agree, I was SO not loving the new guy! I wanted to kill him. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when a cover actually relates to the book. Also I never noticed that about the scales since it's hard to see online... thanks for pointing that out!

    I have to say I'm not big into mermaid stories so I'm not sure if this one is for me. I've enjoyed Mandy Hubbard's writing in the past, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *makes cover bigger* Oh wow! You're right, I never noticed that on screen before. That's so cool. Love the little details the include in covers! Not liking the sound of this new guy.... I think I hate him already haha. Cole sounds awww-worthy! Despite the issues you had, it does sound like a good read and I'm really curious to see Mandy's take on the siren mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, she does have scales on her leg! Never realised. I do love the cover for this book - it's a shame you couldn't connect fully to Lexi but glad you enjoyed it overall. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not usually a huge fan of triangles, but the "sirens mythology" bit clinched me -- I've got to read this now. Thanks for pointing out this book, and the scales on her leg! I probably wouldn't have noticed that, but it's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I do like it when the actual cover relates to the book! Awesome review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to read this book someday. I have it on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. scales wow! had NEVER seen that before. How cool. Glad you enjoyed this-I agree character indecision is annoying!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have picked up on the scales, but after reading your comments, now I see them :)

    It's sort of strange to me to think of mermaids as sinister or "killers" -- I guess I still think of Ariel as the prototypical mermaid, lol.

    ReplyDelete