Friday 9 March 2012

Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Add it: Goodreads
Source: Author for review
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Format: Paperback, 314 pages
Release Date: July 27, 2011

Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.

Based on the music video for Taylor Swift's "Love Story," Remembrance is easily an enjoyable read.

Lizzie is a fairly regular high school student when we're introduced to her at the beginning of the book. There have been some problems with her boyfriend, Jeremy, but for the most part, things are going well. I had trouble connecting with Lizzie as a character, personally. She is clearly unhappy in her relationship with Jeremy based on the careless, insensitive things he says and does and yet she never does anything about it. I spent most of the book hoping that she would just end it, regardless of how he "used to be" before being made co-captain of the soccer team.

Drew was also kind of weird for me. He had his moments of sweetness where a bright personality shined but then he was also a complete jerk at other points. His motives are explained in the novel but his erratic behaviour still doesn't really add up for me.

Despite the problems I had with the characters (all of the characters) I was still able to enjoy the romance. It's easy and quick -- something that can put a smile on your face, if nothing else. There's the insta love factor too which was something that I kind of just had to let go while reading.

The flashes to the past in Remembrance were probably my favourite part of the book. There aren't many and huge revelations don't come until near the end, but I thought they were integrated well into the story and just intriguing in general. There were a surprising amount of Jane Austen references which I thought was pretty interesting even though I've... never read Jane Austen. I wish there had been more of a focus on the reincarnation but I can see why it might have been seen as unnecessary too.

All in all, I liked the book even though I had a few issues with it.

Cover Comments: The mask is obviously the focal point of the cover and I like that. It reminds me a lot of the original "Love Story" video actually, and seeing as that was my original basis for wanting to read the book, I like that aspect.

3 stars

18 comments:

  1. Agree with your review. I felt the same way while reading this book.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog :)
    Following you back !

    Nick @ Nick's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I really wanted to read this one, but now I am not so sure. I mean, you did like it, so I guess I can still give it a chance. I do hate not connecting with the characters though. Hard choice. Great review. Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way... characters are such an enormous part of a book for me. I hope you do enjoy it if you decide to give it a shot! :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh this was based on a Taylor Swift music video? I did not know this! Shame that you couldn't really connect with Lizzie, clinging onto the relationship with Jeremy does not seem to be doing her character any favours. I'm a little iffy about this, because of the insta-love and issues with characters, but you do have me intrigued by the past flashbacks. Sorry you didn't love this more, my little Canadian ducky, but fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I jumped on the chance to read it once I heard about the music video inspiration.

      Canadian ducky? LOL. Okay, my little Australian goose <3

      Delete
  4. I remember being iffy about this book when I first heard about it too. I think I'll (eventually) read it though, just because I really like the idea of reincarnation... and because I've always found Jane Austen interesting. But thanks for the insight!

    - May :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, reincarnation is always a pretty cool subject. I like the way Michelle Madow explored that part of it.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE that this book was based on a Taylor Swift video! Most book inspirations come from dreams or movies, so this one is so different! :) It's too bad that you couldn't connect with Lizzie though -- I think I'd probably have the same problem as you because I can never understand why a girl would stay in a relationship that doesn't make her happy! Because isn't that the point of being in a relationship? To make you happy? I don't know, but maybe that's just the inexperienced high school girl in me LOL x)

    Still, even though the cast didn't blow your mind, you have me intrigued enough to want to pick up this book! :) I love books with flashbacks in them, and smile-inducing romances are always really sweet!

    AMAZING honest review, Sonia! <3

    P.S. I just realized you're Canadian! Now I know where some of your awesomeness comes from! :D *high fives*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I mean, why else would you want to date a guy? o_O So I guess that's maybe TWO inexperienced high school girls talking? LOL.

      Thank you! <3

      *MEGA HIGH FIVING*

      Delete
  6. The insta love may bother me, but I like that it still warms your heart and makes you smile. That's always a plus. AND TAYLOR SWIFT IS THE SHIZZ. I remember when I first heard about this book, and I thought it was cool of Madow to find inspiration AND act on it, writing this story as a result. I'm definitely most interested in the flashbacks as well. I think that'll be the most exciting part for me too!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lot of eye rolling at the insta love but then there were so many other reviewers that thought it was fine. I don't know.

      TAYLOR SWIFT <3 That aspect of the book still excites me LOL :P

      Delete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm returning the follow :) I've been wanting to read this book; it looks good! Have a good weekend!
    http://www.theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read this book too and found I didn't love love it but I definitely enjoyed it. You brought out some valid points about the characters, I didn't connect with Lizzie either. Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm returning the love and following back :)

    P.S. I LOL'd at your bio icon when it says, "No one ever suspects the hufflepuff" -> LOVE IT!
    P.P.S. Yay for another Canadian blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, that's exactly how I felt! It was pretty fun while I was reading.

      Thank you! :) Hufflepuff LOVE <3

      WOOHOOOOOOOO! Nice to meet you, Canadian blogger :D

      Delete
  9. I completely agree that is is a quick cute love story. Its a good book for making you smile. Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a good love story, I'll have to check it out! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have this one on my TBR! It's a shame about the characters, but the story sounds pretty good! Glad you enjoyed it overall :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoooh, Sonia, I've been seeing this one around for M O N T H S. I'm... seriously not a Taylor Swift fan... so I've kind of ignored it :D

    "Despite the problems I had with the characters (all of the characters)"

    Mwaha! You 'ALL of the characters' cracked me up :D

    You know, despite my TS aversion, it sounds interesting... Kind of dissapointing that it wasn't AMAZING, but still... FAB review, my favorite Lestrange XD

    ReplyDelete