Wednesday 2 May 2012

Trees, Soil and Other Cool Stuff

Source: Garth Lenz


Isn't it beautiful? That's where I am right now! (Okay, not really... that's actually just a random picture of a forest I found on Google.) Close enough though! For the next few days, I will be... somewhere... for an environmental school competition. The competition focuses on soil, forestry, aquatics and wildlife (I'm the aquatics expert!) and I know you're all actually really fascinated by that stuff, so I'll give you a few fun facts.


  • It takes over 500 years for 2 cm of topsoil to grow.
  • Ontario has around 85 billion trees - now you say 'wow!'
  • White pine trees have 5 needles (red pine have 2)
  • Beavers are rodents! 
  • The four types of wetlands are bogs, fens, marshes and swamps

So now that you are sufficiently educated in the matters of forestry, wildlife, aquatics and soil, I shall leave you to ponder what you can do to save our earth. Hope you have a great week! <3 



Source: NightTimeThoughts

Hey look, a stream!

5 comments:

  1. Lol, I love the beginning of this post. also, well cool facts. enjoy your competition =]

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...do you mean we should stop reading printed books, and convert to ebooks? but... uh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a great time - sounds like a great trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia, you are so awesome. Only you could make me laugh about soil/tree facts. Honestly. Hope you're having a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally late replying to this post and you're most likely home by now, but... I hope you had an AWESOME time away! Seriously, it would have been COOL. I mean, not the working and thinking part, but being around nature forests and streams and all that, I just love being in nature. And your facts ARE interesting. If a teacher told me those, I'd tune out. Sonia tells me those and I'm all, 'TELL ME MORE' (not even kidding).

    I HOPE YOU TOTALLY OBLITERATED THE COMPETITION IN THE... COMPETITION! <3

    ReplyDelete