Tuesday 16 October 2012

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Spark (Elemental, #2)Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Add to: Goodreads
Source: From publisher for review
Publisher: Kensington Teen
Format: Paperback, 345 pages
Release Date: August 28, 2012

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.
Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.
Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.
More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.
Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.
The fuse is lit…

5 Reasons Why You Should Read Spark

1. hot boys
2. hot boys
3. hot boys
4. hot boys
5. hot boys

Alright, fine, there's more than that. But don't tell me that doesn't draw you in ;)

1. Loved the characters in Storm? Well here they get EVEN BETTER!
I fell hard for the characters in Storm but even so, my love for them somehow reached even higher levels in the sequel! Many of them seem a lot more complex to me now than they did when I first started the series and I think that brings more of a sort of appreciation from me. I am so, so invested in these characters. One that I particularly LOVED in Spark was Hunter. I liked him in the previous book but there was nothing to make me love him. In Spark? Problem solved.

2. Meet Gabriel Merrick, the most wonderfully complex character ever.
Oh my goodness, this boy. There are about seven thousand layers to Gabriel... he is remarkably like a real person. He misunderstands things, speaks out of turn and loses his temper easily. He doesn't make it easy for people to help him. And yet, it is SO CLEAR that he's trying to do the best that he can. There are so many fears and insecurities underneath the surface of Gabriel and all of them co-exist amongst the most beautiful, genuine and caring parts of him. I love love love love love loooooooove his character!

3. E-M-O-T-I-O-N
I cried and I laughed while reading this -- for me, this is generally a good sign! Brigid Kemmerer has this ability to get right under your skin with her words and make you feel emotions for the things that seem so insignificant. The changing POVs in this story (Gabriel and Layne, who, by the way, is FABULOUS) worked flawlessly and really maximized the emotional connection that I had to the story. Also with the emotion? The romance. I could FEEL the chemistry between Gabriel and Layne.

4. Brigid doesn't skirt around the tough stuff
Just like in the previous novel of the series, there is some focus on a very serious issue. Bullying is a prevalent topic in the novel and I found it very well-written. It honestly broke my heart to see some of the things that were going on in the school and it's hard not to feel the horror and disgust that they actually do happen.  

5. Family <3
I have probably said it enough times to make you all sick but I LOVE FAMILY STORYLINES. The Merrick brothers don't seem like the most perfect family in this book but oh, it killed me to watch them. All of their interactions seem so personal and charged with a dozen different emotions. Just as with the individual characters, the dynamics of this family unit are layered and complicated and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, okay, maybe I'd be up for a nice big group hug every now and again.

(bonus: hot boys!)

So basically: This author needs to be on your to-read list if she's not already. The Merrick brother await you!

Cover Comments: Hellooooo Gabriel!

5 Golden Crowns!

16 comments:

  1. Fab review! I really enjoyed this book but why must these Merrick brothers of ours be so darn hot?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was devised to be some type of torture mechanism?

      Delete
  2. I also cried so much in this book! I LOVED Gab and I think this book was even better than Storm and.. I Loved Storm already, so SPARK was just fabolous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it wasn't just me then! :) Oh yeah, totally agree. Storm was amazing but Spark was even better... I can't wait for the next book!!

      Delete
  3. Hehe, love how enthusiastic you are for this book! I really didn't like Gabe in Storm so I have put off reading this but now I should give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad that the enthusiasm came across! And I reaaaally hope you give Gabe a chance in Spark then! There's so much more to his character that you learn and it's just fascinating.

      Delete
  4. Man, I love these books... those Merrick boys are pretty irresistible. I kind of missed the characters from the first book (I didn't care for Layne as much, but it's hard because I LOVED Becca, and Becca/Chris together), but I did absolutely love Gabriel's POV. These books are just so fab, I can't wait for more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, for me, I think I liked Layne/Gabriel more overall. I did LOVE seeing Becca around though! I am so, so excited to see what Brigid will do next :)

      Delete
  5. YES! I love love love these books, and your review is just perfect. I mean, you could have left it at the HOT BOYS but no, you had to go and be even more convincing.
    Hunter's my FAVOURITE of all the boys, so I loved getting to see more of him. I swear, the first ebook I'm buying when I finally get around to getting a kindle will be his novella. *wants it, precioussss*
    And ooh yes to point 5 - I am such a fan of siblings in books, and I thought Brigid did an amaaaaazing job expressing the complex dynamics between the brothers. And point 4 - I loved that Layne and her brother don't let their bullies define them.
    Basically, yes to everything you said. HUNTER, WILL YOU MARRY ME?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the hot boys thing would have sufficed as well but then I was like, "maybe the publisher will want more details?" Haha, thank you so much, Alex! <3

      I REALLY grew to like Hunter in this book! I loved seeing his relationship with Gabe :) FAMILY BOOKS ARE THE BEST, PERIOD. *high-fives*

      ALEXANDRA, WILL YOU MARRY ME?

      Delete
  6. Wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I loved reading about the Merrick brothers, but Gabriel didn't mesh with me as well as Chris, but I'm still looking forward to the sequel. Kemmerer has a talent of writing some of the best dual narrative novels I've read, so I'm sure Spirit will be just as good if not better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keertana! I hope you LOVE Spirit! <3

      Delete
  7. CAN I MARRY YOUR FIVE-REASONS-BRAIN?! EVERYTHING YOU SAID x 1544165341424112 X INFINITY.

    GABRIEL MERRICK.

    *thud*

    ^sound of my body falling over.
    on top of his.

    I LOVE how deep Brigid went with him. I fell for him in Storm, but damn... DAMN. She proved what a skilled writer she is at crafting amazingly REAL characters that aren't cardboard cutouts or the usual 'bad boy' stereotype... he's just so layered and MY HEART, SONIA. I WANTED TO HUG HIM AND STICK MY TONGUE DOWN HIS THROAT AND THEN HUG THE CRAP OUT OF HIM AGAIN.

    And YES. Hunter won me over even more in Spark! Gabriel/Hunter potential bromance? *fangirls*

    Okay, I could go on about Layne and Michael and Gabriel's abilities and EVERYTHING ELSE that made me love this book so damn much, but I don't think you want me spamming your comments anymore and you covered the essentials in your 5 incredible points above.

    You've seriously made me want to go reread this. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOOOONIA.
    I... uh, I don't know what to say other than a resounding yes Yes YESSSSS!
    Everything about this, and I mean... hot boys, YES, but... like you said. Gabriel is so complex, and the brothers are all amazing, but get even better here and and and ♥

    ReplyDelete