Saturday 6 July 2013

Cover Correction (4)

Cover Correction is a semi-regular feature I do over on the blog to spotlight some recent (or maybe even old) cover changes to series. Some changes I hate and some changes I love, so I love to be able to talk about some of these!

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)

I really quite liked the original cover for this series. It's dark and edgy and even though I can never stop thinking about the fact that she's crying from the middle of her eye (thanks for that Chloe) I liked it! The new cover... not as much. I mean, it's alright. I like the font and the more gritty-looking background, but I can't help but think it looks like one of those cover placeholders used for ARCs and such. Still, as cover changes go, not a terrible one by any means!

Preferred: Old

***

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

The Disenchantments The Disenchantments

Don't hate me for saying this, but I've always thought the original cover looked like something I could have photoshopped myself. I DID love how bright and colourful it was and without having read it, it seems like a really fun book (people that have read it... is it?). But still. I like the new cover a lot! There's still that brightness but it's a little less in your face. I love the tagline too (if you can't read it, it's "Maybe we always were the people we imagined ourselves to be.")

Preferred: New

***

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)Anna and the French Kiss
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)
Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)

I don't know about this cover change! Sometimes I look at it and I'm pleased and other times I wish they'd stuck with the same theme. I think the new covers will appeal to an older audience and I like the emphasis on the places that the books take place (because with Stephanie Perkins, that was a big part of the magic for me!). But at the same, I miss the cuteness of the couples in the first two books. I was excited to see what Isla and Josh would look like on the cover!

Preferred: Original (for now, we'll see)

What do you think? Original, new, none at all? Let me know in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I love this meme, Sonia! I have a love/hate relationship with cover changes but if it's mid-series cover change that I definitely hate it.

    The Disenchantments is a fun book! I just read it. It's a perfect book for the summer or looking for the next road trip book. But it also has things that lots of people can relate too. I think I love both covers. The new shows all the characters in perfect depiction but the old is still a fabulous cover.

    For the Anna and the French Kiss and that "series" I haven't read the book (don't kill me! DX) but i actually like the new covers. It's simpler and I prefer if there weren't any people on the cover if not minimal.

    I love your header! It's so simple! Did you make it yourself? Anyways, it is definitely pleasurable meeting you and i have to give a big awkward hug with lots of cookies and unicorns and books for the follow. <33333

    Hope I can get to know you better. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I agree with you on everything (Though I also love the original cover of The Disenchantments). I recently bought the old cover of The Immortal Rules because I prefer it.

    great post,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this meme- looking at old and new and even pre-publication covers is something I really enjoy! These are all very interesting changes- I haven't read any of the books, though I want to read both Anna and The Disenchantments (I really like the two Disenchantments covers, though I don't know which one I like more.)
    Something that bugs me about cover redesigns is when the last book of a series gets the redesign and the other two books are re-published, but for all those people who bought them originally and want the matching covers it's impossible. It seems a little insane to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the original cover of The Disenchantments! Though the new one is pretty cool. The UK have kept the original covers for the Blood of Eden series, I'm pretty sure! The cover of The Eternity Cure is in the same style. Completely agree with you on the Stephanie Perkins covers. At times the new ones look okaaay but the the old ones are just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel very similar to you on the Stephanie Perkins covers. I do think the new covers represent the feel of the books a little better, and make them a little less embarrassing to read as an adult. But there's just something about the originals that's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete